The Functions of Role-Playing GamesHow Participants Create Community, Solve Problems and Explore Identity
This study takes an analytical approach to the world of role-playing games, providing a theoretical framework for understanding their psychological and sociological functions.
Sometimes dismissed as escapist and potentially dangerous, role-playing actually encourages creativity, self-awareness, group cohesion and "out-of-the-box" thinking.
The Functions of Role-Playing Games also offers a detailed participant-observer ethnography on role-playing games, featuring insightful interviews with 19 participants of table-top, live action and virtual games.
The Functions of Role-Playing Games is available at RPGNow.com.
- Mind Games - Rotted Capes (RPG News)
- Exalted: Tale of the Visiting Flare (Comics News)
- Monte Cook's Small Matters (RPG News)
- Unframed: The Art of Improvisation for Game Masters (RPG News)
- Of Predators and Prey: The Hunters Hunted II Anthology (RPG News)
- The One Ring - Rivendell (RPG News)
- X-Mas in July Sale at RPGNow! (RPG News)
- Embrace the Squee (Comics News)
- Streets of Bedlam SoB Stories #1 (RPG News)
- ETU: Degrees of Horror (Savage Worlds) (RPG News)