The Functions of Role-Playing GamesHow Participants Create Community, Solve Problems and Explore Identity
This study takes an analytical approach to the world of role-playing games, providing a theoretical framework for understanding their psychological and sociological functions.
Sometimes dismissed as escapist and potentially dangerous, role-playing actually encourages creativity, self-awareness, group cohesion and "out-of-the-box" thinking.
The Functions of Role-Playing Games also offers a detailed participant-observer ethnography on role-playing games, featuring insightful interviews with 19 participants of table-top, live action and virtual games.
The Functions of Role-Playing Games is available at RPGNow.com.
- Shadowrun: Spells & Chrome (RPG News)
- Ravenloft Campaign Setting, Revised, Boxed Set (2e) (RPG News)
- 10 Dragon Magic Items (PFRPG) From Rite Publishing (RPG News)
- Tales from The Strange (RPG News)
- 13th Age Bestiary from Pelgrane Press (RPG News)
- Cold Steel Wardens: Roleplaying in the Iron Age of Comics (RPG News)
- Rogue Trooper Sale! (Comics News)
- Weird Wars Rome: Nox Germanica (RPG News)
- Black Crusade: Tome of Decay (RPG News)
- Edara: A Steampunk Renaissance Revised (RPG News)