- DTRPG 10th Anniversary RPG Bundle featuring Firefly, Spycraft, Shadowrun, Adventure & more!
- DTRPG 10th Anniversary RPG Bundle 2 featuring Numenera, Eclipse Phase, Buffy, Wraith, and more!
- DTRPG 10th Anniversary Fiction Bundle featuring 50 Fathoms, Mummy, Space 1889, Magic, and more!
- DTRPG 10th Anniversary Comics Bundle featuring Deadlands, Judge Dredd, Cyberforce, Mouse Guard, and more!
These amazing $10 Bundles won't last long, so scoop up these great deals today!
Save 50% on the PDF editions of the Mind's Eye Theatre Rulebook, plus Mind's Eye Theatre: The Requiem, and Mind's Eye Theatre: The Awakening for a limited at RPGNow.com!
The truth remains, however, that over the years a number of alternative tabletop RPGs have grown popular as well, and they often offer wonderfully enjoyable twists on the standard fantasy genre. So with that said, here are four great options for some more unique tabletop gaming.
This is one of my favorite concepts for a tabletop RPG ever. In a modern sense, it will appeal to any Sin City fans who never got the game Frank Miller's awesome 2005 film deserved. But more generally, it's a great throwback to the mystery and intrigue of noir mystery films. Developed by Archon Gaming, Noir is a pretty standard gaming experience revolving around six-sided dice and fairly basic archetype characters—but again, it's the setting and imagery that are refreshingly unique.
2. Mutants & Masterminds
You can find superhero games in just about every format, from RPG communities, to major console games, and even online casino or mobile gaming markets. This is largely because Marvel and DC are in the process of taking over the entire entertainment industry (or at least, it feels this way). But Mutants & Masterminds offers an original superhero experience in tabletop RPG format. Written up by Listverse in 2012 as one of the top-10 tabletop RPG experiences, the game offers an engaging foray into superhero-level powers for players, and even brought on a partnership between developer Green Ronin and DC for future games.
3. King Arthur Pendragon
It's somewhat surprising when you think about it, but there are shockingly few popular King Arthur gaming experiences out there. Perhaps it's because there hasn't been a major adaptation of the Arthurian legend in quite some time (discounting the strange but actually quite good 2004 film featuring Clive Owen). In fact, a King Arthur slot machine game that's gone around the Internet and is featured at the Betfair Arcade is one of the only examples that stands out in recent years. Well, that game along with a horrible PS2 title based on the aforementioned film. King Arthur Pendragon may be a tabletop RPG, but it actually functions as an outstanding experience for Arthur fans, placing a fairly traditional RPG gaming concept in the setting of mythical England. Like Noir, the game was featured by Topless Robot in a list of RPG games with "atypical settings."
4. Eldritch Horror
Developed by Fantasy Flight as something of a sequel to the popular Arkham Horror, Eldritch Horror is actually an extremely distinctive game. It does feature some fantasy, sci-fi elements, but the basic backdrop is one of human mystery, like some sort of cross between Sherlock Holmes mysteries and the Bioshock Infinite video game series (if that makes any sense). The game has an impressive scope, offering numerous adventures and challenges that keep it interesting for long-term play. And as Game Informer noted while ranking this one of the top-10 tabletop RPGs of 2013, it's perfect for larger gaming groups.
Again, there seem to be nearly limitless options for those looking for a fresh new RPG experience. But these are a few fun options, new and old, that stray from traditional settings and formats to some extent.
28.05.2014. 10:42The Esoterror threat is growing. The membrane is thinning. Eradicating the threat did not work. Surpressing the threat is failing. The next step is Containment. We will have to create quarantine zones of areas of high supernatural presence and designate safe zones for habitation. Using force against the Esoterrorists has not worked. We must understand them and their methods in order to defeat them. We must know what they know. Then we can defeat them.
This document is the first step toward that. It discusses the wall between our reality and the Outer Dark, how it is measured, how it can be injured and repaired, and speculates about its nature and purpose. The summoning techniques the Esoterrorists use and how we, the Ordo Veritatis, can counter these actions. There is also a section on how to deal with Outer Dark Entities after they have manifested. Direct contact with ODE’s is not recommended if any other options exist.
The Esoterror Summoning Guide by Gareth Ryder-Hanrahan is a supplement for The Esoterrorists. It also includes a short adventure based upon the material presented.
The Esoterror Summoning Guide is available at RPGNow.com.
13.12.2013. 19:42Consumed with their own affairs and agendas, the Great Clans of Rokugan rarely pay attention to the goings on of the other groups that share the Empire with them. The Minor Clans, ronin, the Brotherhood of Shinsei, and even the Imperial families themselves are often overlooked in the schemes of the Great Clans, and ofter to the detriment of those who fail to take them into account.
Secrets of the Empire presents, in great detail, information concerning these groups, including an exhaustive list of Rokugan's Minor Clans, the polotical intrigue of the Imperial families, and much more detail on the workings of the Empire's wave men and the ubiquitous Brotherhood of Shinsei, not to mention the mysterious Spirit Realms that lay just beyone the reach of the mortal world.
In this book you will find:
- Ancestors for each of the groups mentioned above.
- The history and culture of each of Rokugan's many Minor Clans.
- The secrets of the Hantei, Otomo, Seppun, Miya, Toturi, and Iweko families.
- Information on many sects and practices of the Brotherhood of Shinsei.
Secrets of the Empire is now available in PDF format at RPGNow.com!
08.12.2013. 12:48A terrifying World War Two setting, fully compatible with the Call of Cthulhu, Sixth Edition and Savage Worlds roleplaying games.
Discover the secret history of World War Two: stories of amazing heroism, in which stalwart men and women struggle to overthrow a nightmare alliance of steel and the occult; of frightening inhuman conspiracies from the depths of time; of the unbelievable war machines which are the product of Nazi engineering genius – and how close we all are to a slithering end! The Secret War has begun!
Inside you’ll find a whole kit-bag stuffed with:
• New occupations, skills, equipment, and backgrounds from across Europe, the British Commonwealth, and the United States
• How you can keep the home fires burning, become part of the Allied war effort, or risk everything by joining the partisans to bring down the Reich from within!
• What life was like serving with the various military forces and on the Home Front
• An array of historical and fictional material to help you create exciting player characters and NPCs
• A background generator, designed to help you find out what dark secrets your past contains…
The Investigator’s Guide to the Secret War is the definitive guide to the late 1930s and ‘40s for use by players and Keepers alike.
Achtung! Cthulhu: Investigator's Guide is available at RPGNow.com!
05.12.2013. 08:02This book, like its predecessor the Judges’ Handbook, is a tool kit, a resource for both players and referees alike, with new rules and options for Judges as they struggle to bring order to their city or travel to protect its interests in distant locations. Much of the material here expands on, and supplements, that detailed in the Judge Dredd Core Rulebook and the Judges’ Handbook.
There are rules for the generation of Specialist Judges from the Accounts and Administration Divisions, sixteen specialist units or posting, the equipment used by Specialist Judges, new vehicles and robots, an extensive list of NPC Judges, an updated timeline to cover 2031 to 2135, and observations on how recent disasters have affected the Justice Department. Finally, there are individuals and organisations who have appeared in 2000AD and the Judge Dredd Megazine.
Prepare yourself for a new look at the Justice Department and many new options to make your Judges truly unique!
The Judge's Handbook II is available now!
04.12.2013. 08:01You are elite investigators combating the plots of the Esoterrorists, a loose affiliation of occult terrorists intent on tearing the fabric of the world. The Esoterrorists 2E introduces the GUMSHOE rules system, which revolutionizes investigative scenarios by ensuring that players are never deprived of the crucial clues they need to move the story forward.
This new edition of The Esoterrorists is 4 times longer and allows you to:
- Equip your characters with fine-grained investigative abilities, ranging from Interrogation and Data Retrieval to the ever-popular Forensic Entomology and always useful Bullshit Detector.
- Round them out with 13 crucial action abilities, which help you fight, run away, and retain your mental stability when the horrors come knocking.
- Absorb the latest, in-depth intelligence data on the terrifying world of the Esoterrorists.
- Learn the never-before-revealed inner workings of the Ordo Veritatis, the secret international agency that sends you out to smash the foe.
- Recoil at raw reports detailing all-new creatures of unremitting horror. - Root yourself in a site of small town menace with the new Station Duty campaign frame and scenario.
- Confront fever dreams of the apocalypse in a brand new introductory scenario, OPERATION: PROPHET BUNCO!
Incorporating years of advice, actual play experience, and design evolution, The Esoterrorists Enhanced Edition includes all the rules you need to play the game that revolutionized investigative roleplaying. Dripping with ichor and jammed with content, this is the heftier, meatier, definitive tome gamers have been crying out for ever since they laid their paws on the original.
The Esoterrorists 2nd Edition is available at RPGNow.com!
30.11.2013. 18:04Agatha Heterodyne and the Siege of Mechanicsburg
Volume/Edition: Girl Genius Studio Collection Volume Twelve
Synopsis: Adventure, Romance, Mad Science!
Agatha and her friends try to save her town from the vast armies of the Wulfenbach Empire in the latest volume of the Hugo Award-winning series.
Girl Genius Volume Twelve is available now in PDF format at DriveThruComics.com!
26.11.2013. 17:09Old Soldiers Never Die
What begins as a simple expedition to settle a new village in the ruins of the mysterious Castle Inverness sets off a chain of events that could threaten every living being from Winterhaven to Hammerfast. Not everyone in the Nentir Vale is happy yo see civilization brought to Inverness, particularly the ghost of Salazar Vladistone, who commands the spectral legion called the Phantom Brigade.
March of the Phantom Brigade is an adventure designed for season 4 of the Dungeons & Dragons Encounters official play program. It includes the information the Dungeon Master needs to run the adventure, thirteen ready-to-play encounters (each intended for one session of play), and full-color foldout battle maps depicting the various encounter locations.
March of the Phantom Brigade (2011), by Rodney Thompson, is the adventure for Season 4 of D&D Encounters. It was released for play between the Winter 2010 and Spring 2011 seasons.
March of the Phantom Brigade is available in PDF at RPGNow.com.
- Underworld Races: Drow (RPG News)
- The Iron King at DriveThruComics (RPG News)
- Heirs to Hell for Demon: the Descent (RPG News)
- Mind Games - Rotted Capes (RPG News)
- Exalted: Tale of the Visiting Flare (Comics News)
- Monte Cook's Small Matters (RPG News)
- Unframed: The Art of Improvisation for Game Masters (RPG News)
- Of Predators and Prey: The Hunters Hunted II Anthology (RPG News)
- The One Ring - Rivendell (RPG News)
- X-Mas in July Sale at RPGNow! (RPG News)